CVHS JV Volleyball team sweeps their way to being undefeated

Daniella Lopez
CVHS JV Volleyball team wins against their biggest opponent in the season, ending the final set at 25-23, after being behind 7 points.

As the season ends, the Junior Varsity girls’ volleyball team has remained undefeated despite having to adjust to major changes. Captain Daniella Lopez has expressed that the team’s success wouldn’t have been possible without the sacrifice and the bond they have created.

Though the team worked hard to achieve their success, they owe an equally great thanks to their coach, Kylaa Griffin. Being a new coach at CVHS for a sport you haven’t done in a long time isn’t easy, but with help and guidance, Griffin has proved to be an amazing coach despite the challenges she has faced in her first year of coaching CVHS volleyball, the team’s success is evidence enough of her good work

Their mind is lighter, they tend to play better and they tend to play more freely, which is exactly what we’ve been doing because our minds are set,” said Lopez

Being a counselor has helped her when coaching, understanding, and believing in her team.

“I think being a counselor plays a role in how I coach them because some of them I do know some of them I don’t know. But I do know that within any student, if you can get them to believe in themselves, they’ll work a lot harder and they accomplish a whole lot more,” said Griffin

Griffin states that success from her team comes not only from hard work and enjoyment inside the court but outside as well.

CVHS JV Volleyball team celebrating at their last game after going undefeated, ending their season with a record of 18-0. Go Rhinos! (Mr. Flores)

“It’s important to work on their skills when they’re not at practice or not on the floor, here at school, but do some work outside as well,” said Griffin, “being a part of a team and doing your part making it fun? I think when kids enjoy what they’re doing, they do better at it”

Last season when the now JV team played Galena Park as freshmen, they lost 2-0. This year, they decided to come back stronger and play harder to win. 

“They played them as freshmen and they did not win against them. So this year it was personal. They prepared, focused, came to practice, and everybody was on the court. Everybody played their position and they fought to the very end” said Griffin

Their greatest strength has been the team’s mindset, as their strong thirst for wanting to win has pushed them to play even harder in each game. This strength has allowed them to go undefeated.

I think our biggest strength is that we know when we want something,” said Lopez

We’ll go all out for it and I think that when we want to win, we will work for it. Even if it means stepping out of our comfort zones.”

— Daniella Lopez

View Comments (1)
$150
$500