The Student-Run News Site of Carnegie Vanguard High School

Upstream News

Upstream News

Upstream News

Carnegie Ranked No. 35 in the Nation

English teacher Ms. Burley teaches CVHS freshmen for her first year here.
Adelynn Rubio

In the Spring of 2023, Carnegie was ranked No. 35 as the best-performing public high school in the United States. Incoming teachers and students have varied opinions on whether this ranking is deserved, comparing the academic environments of their past schools to CVHS’s.

This ranking came from the U.S. News and World Report Company and has stated that the criteria used to rank these high schools was based on a variety of factors. The major criteria examined were AP Exam participation and scores, math, English, and science proficiency, standardized test scores, and graduation rates. CVHS’s overall score was 99.8. 

Carnegie is well-known for its rigorous program that challenges students to think at higher levels than most. In fact, the U.S. News and World Report company stated that most students take a minimum of ten AP classes, and CVHS consistently exceeds the average scores on standardized tests. Some of the new teachers at CVHS Vanguard have shared their thoughts about what they believe to be the contributing factors to Carnegie’s success and high-achieving students.

“I think that we have a good balance here, between maintaining those high expectations and supporting students. And I feel like that’s key in maintaining that success. We don’t always get it right. Nobody ever does. But I do think we try a lot more than other schools to get that balance between student expectations and support,” said CVHS English teacher Meghan Brannon-Reese, who returned to Carnegie after teaching at Sharpstown International School.

The Texas Tribune has gathered from the school year 2020-2021 that the average SAT score at CVHS was 1363. Teachers and staff agree that the students at Carnegie often try to exceed expectations, and are generally high achievers.

When asked what makes CVHS stand out, Jonathan Lowe, the new AP Physics teacher who previously taught at Waltrip High School, replied that the students “are GT for a reason, because they’ve shown some type of exceptional skill. You layer that on top of the rigorous academic environment here and I believe that’s what gives you the 35th spot in the nation. The combination of both really high-quality kids in addition to high-quality instruction.”

CVHS has a little over 900 students, much smaller than the average number of students per public HISD high school. CVHS’s program is better able to be centered on students more individually because of this. The teachers, staff, and even PTO help organize the academic program and educational opportunities, ensuring all students are supported so they can be the best students they can be.

CVHS English Teacher Ariann Burley stated “We have a super strong PTO here. That helps to make the school function a lot easier and properly. I have never worked at a school with such a great PTO, like ever.”

This is another factor that teachers believe creates such a great school. In fact, the CVHS PTO has a website designed to be a platform of communication to host school events, encourage school spirit, offer opportunities for students, and provide support for staff and students alike.

Although there are various views and opinions about what makes Carnegie No.35 as the best-performing public high school, teachers do feel proud to be part of CVHS.

The U.S News and World Report Company will release the rankings for the 2023-2024 school year during the Spring of 2024, and it’s possible CVHS’s ranking could change. Overall, staff and students are what teachers believe keep the heart of CVHS pumping.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Upstream News
$150
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Carnegie Vanguard High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs and fund field trips, competition fees, and equipment. We appreciate your support!