The Student-Run News Site of Carnegie Vanguard High School

Upstream News

Upstream News

Upstream News

Tiffany Williams unwraps a new chapter as CVHS’ new Wrap-Around Specialist

John Nguyen
Mrs. Williams’s office is neatly organized and is the home of her favorite doll.

Everyone is scared of change, but for CVHS’ new Wrap Around Specialist Tiffany Williams, change came naturally. When she entered the Carnegie building, Williams welcomed her new workplace with open arms. She had never thought that her mission of inspiring students would lead her here.

While this might be her first year at CVHS, Williams has developed a unique aptitude for connecting with students because of her diverse background and experiences. Not only has she worked in corporate service, but she also has a background in education, having worked as a teacher in Korea. She has been actively involved in diversity and inclusion work and is passionate about community building. These collective experiences, including her role as a big sister, contribute to her effectiveness in her current position as a wraparound specialist.

Williams did not originally plan on being a Wrap-Around Specialist at Carnegie Vanguard. Her work experiences were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, and post-pandemic she was passionate about helping the youth and hoped to work at either a middle school or elementary school. However, upon hearing about CVHS, she redirected her passion and decided to work at a high school instead.

“I wanted to go to Carnegie because if I’m going to work at a school, it should be the best of the best,” said Williams.

As a Wrap-Around Specialist, Williams offers holistic student support through plans created by Wrap-Around Resource Specialists. They address physical, mental, cognitive, and social-emotional needs, integrating non-instructional support and involving community partners. Her ultimate goal is to remove barriers to academic success when coupled with high-quality instruction.

“I would love to help the [students of Carnegie] to help them get organized and study better [and] figure out themselves so it’s not like hard later. I can connect people with tutors, low-cost, free tutors, I can connect them to a therapist, wrap-around provides a variety of services for a student,” said Williams.

Although Williams is enjoying her time at Carnegie so far, she is still adapting to the unique environment that the school has to offer and observing students gain more insights about the study body and problems that she, as a wrap-around specialist, can help with. One of the major challenges she has noticed amongst students is their lack of time management skills. She believes that time management skills are one of the most essential skills to success. If she can help put students on the path to success by developing time management skills through the use of Wrap Around resources, she believes she has done her job properly.

During her first couple months at CVHS, Williams appreciated the diversity and welcoming environment at CVHS. Some things Williams is looking forward to as a Wrap-Around Specialist is collaborating with the different clubs and the different students on campus to help them get the things that they need. For example, she hopes to start a mini library in her office and a new event, called “Wrap-Around Wednesdays.” On these days, Williams will provide resources like school supplies to students with her “cute and corny” catchphrase, “secure the bags!”

“I, as a neurodivergent person, felt very comfortable here. It felt like if everybody doesn’t have ADHD or autism or something, they were all very accepting of it,” said Williams.

Williams always tries to maintain a positive atmosphere in her office and encourages students to drop by during the passing period. She is working on learning everyone’s names and faces and welcomes everyone with a warm smile and open ears.

“Learning names and being open and listening I think is like really what I can do,” said Williams.

Outside of school, Williams has a variety of hobbies. She is very crafty and enjoys making DIY projects through refurbishing items from Goodwill. She purchased a bookcase in a particular color, which she later painted gray, and also painted a dresser. Additionally, she is an avid dancer who likes to do salsa and cha-cha dances.

Although Williams has only been at CVHS for a couple of months, she is looking forward to the rest of her time at CVHS. Overall, Williams brings a unique blend of experiences and a passion for empowering students to overcome challenges. She not only offers vital support, connecting students with resources ranging from academic help to therapy, but she also fosters an inclusive and welcoming environment at Carnegie Vanguard High School.

“Before you give up, make sure you reach out to your wrap-around specialist. Rhinos Rule!” said Williams.

View Comments (3)
Donate to Upstream News
$150
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Carnegie Vanguard High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs and fund field trips, competition fees, and equipment. We appreciate your support!