Michael Horn: Our school’s lock-up and campus friend

Michael Horn
Horn posing with a Chucky doll outside the Carnegie’s 2023 Halloween pep rally (doodles by Kaylee Yang)

Imagine you’re on your way through the cafeteria and subconsciously think to yourself, “Wow, the floor’s really shiny and clean.” All of a sudden, a colossal navy blue automaton whirrs up behind you with a deafening mechanical roar, its behemoth brushes spinning in a symphony of precision and power leaving no grime in its wake. “Hey, look out” says the voice behind you. 

If you have ever wondered who’s responsible for cleaning up our post-lunch mess, supporting our robotics team after school, or simply locking up the school at the end of the day it’s Michael Horn, our school custodian, lock-up and so much more. 

From the start, Horn found himself drawn to the culture and sense of pride at Carnegie, a quality that made it stand out from his previous jobs at Kashmir High School and Fonwood Elementary. Some of this exceptionality is also rooted in the togetherness and kinship of staff and students. Specifically, Horn is extremely grateful for the Carnegie administration and everything they’ve done for him in the year and a half he’s worked here. 

“Mr Moss, he’s a very great man. When I was injured during the summer and wasn’t working, I had surgery on my right leg. I really didn’t think I was missed here, but he (Principal Moss) showed me that this is a very family-oriented school. They raised money for me while I was out, at a time where I actually really, really needed it. It made me feel good to know that my work was never looked over.”

Grateful for the support he’s received, Horn extends his commitment beyond administrative matters. Even with students, Horn finds himself getting to know them outside the classroom, often spectating and participating in extracurricular activities at school.

“It was March Madness last year, just the whole atmosphere. The vibe of watching, you know, the competitive spirit from a so-called non-competitive school. It gave me a new light on the possibilities that are here with the students and I really enjoyed that.” said Horn. 

Through these meaningful interactions, Horn has assumed guardianship and responsibility over the school, wanting to maintain the laid-back and goal-oriented attitude that embodies Carnegie. He also urges students to embrace their childhood as they start changing the world, a characteristic that stems from his watchful duties as a father, little league football coach and the oldest of sixteen siblings. 

“Everything I do is for them (my family). Growing up in a less privileged home, a lot of responsibilities were laid upon me at an early age. So, it’s always within me to be the provider. At the end of the day, (what I do) is for your guys’ safety. That brings the ‘big brother’ out in me, ‘Uncle Mike’ as my family would say.” said Horn. 

Even surrounded by many people, Horn finds himself immersed in his job during working hours. Aside from the inherent storage difficulties of a small campus like ours, Horn values the time his job gives for introspection and self-evaluation, whether it be about his cooking and singing talents or purely an encompassing reflection of the day. 

“The most relaxing and satisfying part of my job – it’s gonna sound weird – but it’s like the last hour of the day when I’m going around the school… It gives you a peaceful time because there’s no one talking, nobody ripping and running around;  just you and your thoughts.”

Regardless of the rampant students racing up and down the halls during his custodial duties, Horn is beyond appreciative of all students and being a part of the Carnegie family.

While he’s not a traditional educator, he still plays a vital role in our school community and understands that helping tidy up the school is just a small part of helping Carnegie students flourish in their environment. 

“Just don’t squander this opportunity – you guys are in a very privileged position. Take every opportunity that you can, that you have to excel in the future, and I believe you guys have a very bright future,” said Horn.

View Comments (2)
$150
$500