CVHS girls’ and boys’ soccer shoot for victory in their second season in UIL

Sunny Lok
CVHS boys’ soccer teammates minutes before their first game of the UIL season against Milby HS.

Last year, the CVHS girls’ and boys’ soccer teams played in the University Interscholastic League (UIL) for the first time, making history both on campus and the field after years of pushing to join the league. Now, having gained confidence from last season’s wins and lessons from their losses, both teams anticipate a competitive few months as they prepare to begin the 2024 season.

Before playing in UIL, the CVHS teams dominated the competition in their soccer club, La Unidad, ultimately reigning as three-time league champions. With these countless victories naturally came aspirations to be able to play in an organized league. In the fall of 2021, the girls’ team began pushing to join UIL. Throughout the 2022 season, their dominance in the club league brought this goal closer. Finally, in 2023, CVHS soccer, both the girls’ and boys’ teams, successfully entered the league. However, transitioning from La Unidad to UIL meant encountering an entirely different level of competition.

“We actually had enough talent to be the top club team. Coming from club to the UIL [. . .] the biggest issue is that we don’t train physically; we don’t train for the class period. So they have all the advantages against us,” said Coach Arredondo. This year though, both the boys’ and girls’ soccer teams have already found themselves much more prepared to hit the ground running. Having a preseason has afforded them the opportunity to address their weaknesses more effectively.

“Oh, this year we’ve prepared longer than usual. It was a good learning experience.” Coach Lamane said. “Because we started early [with] more preseason games…they know how to play together. [They will] be more efficient than if we focus on skill level per person.”

So far, both teams have already reported having more players and higher participation at practice, which is crucial for having a fully-functioning and ready team.

“Last year, I didn’t know [if we would] have a complete team. So there [were] a lot of gaps in certain positions. Left back, right back. Every team that [played] against us [knew that].” said Coach Lamane. “This year [though], I still have young kids, freshman kids, but they hold their ground. They command the area.”

On Tuesday, January 9th, both teams kicked off the season with games against Milby High School at Delmar Stadium. While they faced losses, both coaches were proud to see growth from the previous years and gained valuable insight into the teams’ ability to compete within the league.

“I was on the sideline and I [feel] like we’re not lost. We’re not at the mercy of the other team, we are in control. We played that 12 to 15 minutes, and we are running the ball,” said Coach Lamane.

Both teams’ coaches also expressed that they were grateful to have immense support from CVHS administration. Arredondo recalled Principal Moss’ dedication to helping move the soccer teams into UIL, while Lamane reflected on the administration’s persistent presence at games.

“Admin is always supportive. They’re always asking me about different things about how the game is played, where the game is played, how many minutes we are gonna play and how this works or how that works,” said Arredondo.

The CVHS girls’ soccer team posing for the camera before they begin warmups for a game. (Audrey Piczak)

As the teams anticipate the rest of their seasons, both coaches are positive and hopeful for the games to come. Above all, they are eager to connect with their team and strive for growth throughout the next months.

“My favorite thing about coaching in general is to just see how when a player really listens to you and grows. You know, even if they played one season, but you see that growth,” said Lamane. “When they trust you and they listen and you see that growth—that’s my favorite part of coaching.”

Both coaches are focused on enhancing team communication not only between the players themselves but between them and their players as well. Lamane recalled the importance of transparency and honesty, explaining that he expects his players to relay any concerns to him to avoid mishaps during games. Arredondo emphasizes the importance of accepting criticism as a player to improve. Because of these attitudes, both the boys’ and girls’ soccer teams have been able to find success in building their camaraderie.

“This year, we’re still trying to figure [things] out. But one of the positive things I can say about this team is that they [are] always there for each other,” said Coach Arredondo.

With the academic pressures of Carnegie, the coaches hope that soccer can ultimately serve as an outlet for these students to spread their wings and have fun. At the end of the day, despite the challenges of tough competition and demanding training, soccer is a sport that is meant to unite people together for a good time.

“Don’t take everything so seriously. You only get a chance to live once so you might as well enjoy it while you can. Because life happens fast,” said Coach Arredondo.