Review: Is pickleball overrated????

John Nguyen
My face on professional pickleball player Tao Thongvanh’s face. (Edited by John Nguyen, Photo credits to The Daily Sentinel)

Pop!

If you go to a local park nowadays,  you’ll most likely see 64-year-old retirees swinging around a plastic racket and hitting a small plastic ball across the court. Pickleball is an uprising trend, and many people claim the sport is beginner-friendly and an “easier version of tennis.” But how easy is pickleball really?

I was introduced to pickleball by my friend Natalia Nguyen, a fellow pickleball novice who was interested in trying out the new sport. We did a quick stop by Target and at first glance at the equipment, pickleball seemed to be a miniature version of tennis, with paddles being much smaller than rackets and using a plastic ball. Pickleball equipment can vary greatly, with bad paddles costing anywhere from five dollars to expensive rackets costing 100. One pickleball usually costs around three dollars, but often comes in a value pack of three or with a paddle set. Pickleball paddles are smaller and smoother compared to tennis racquets, often with air holes. The game also uses a smaller plastic ball resembling a whiffle ball, which doesn’t bounce as high as a tennis ball.

After buying some equipment, we went to a local pickleball court to play a quick friendly match, but one problem was we didn’t know the rules. Not to worry, with a quick Google search and a couple of rounds of playing, we quickly learned the rules.

Serving: 

In pickleball, serves must be underhand, and delivered diagonally to the opposite side of the court. This motion is akin to bowling, making it simpler for beginners compared to the overhand serve in tennis.

The “No-Volley Zone” (The Kitchen): 

A crucial feature in pickleball is the seven-foot no-volley zone on both sides of the net, colloquially known as “the kitchen.” Serves must clear this area, and players are prohibited from stepping into it while the ball is in the air, only allowed after it bounces. This rule serves as a safety measure, preventing close-net spikes.

The Two-Bounce Rule: 

A unique aspect of pickleball is the two-bounce rule. After the serve, the returning team must hit the ball after one bounce, and then the serving team must let it bounce once before returning it. This rule applies at the beginning of each point, ensuring fair play and strategic engagement from the outset.

As a beginner, the rules of pickleball were a bit confusing at first. Still, after a couple of rounds of rallying with my friends, I was able to easily adjust to hitting the ball with somewhat accuracy. However, serving was the hardest part. On my first try serving, I hit the ball with too much force and it went out of bounds. Aiming the serve, with enough force to go across the court is hard, but one tip I learned was to serve in a simple motion like a bowling ball. The learning curve for pickleball is not that large compared to tennis and requires a lot less athletic ability with a smaller court and a slower-paced game.

Additionally, with the rise of Pickleball, injuries related to this sport have been spiking with frequencies of bone fractures in the upper-body bones, such as those in the forearms and hands. I am not the most athletic person, but I was not injured at all while playing pickleball, mainly just sore in my forearms and calves. One thing I did to prevent injury was stretching and doing light cardio before doing an intense rally. Moreover, I went to a variety of Pickleball courts in the Houston Area including East River Nine, River Oaks Park, Feld Park and Mulberry Park. By far my favorite court was Mulberry Park, the lighting was bright, the court lines were freshly painted, and it wasn’t too crowded. Additionally, Mulberry Park’s lights are on until 11 p.m., which allows you to get a good late-night pickleball session in after a long day of work. Although East River Nine had the aesthetics, as it’s in the center of the city and has other activities like golfing, it was the only one with a rental/reservation fee.

Overall, playing pickleball was a good experience and I’ll continue playing pickleball. Anyone can have fun playing pickleball without being super athletic or breaking their wallet.