The Student-Run News Site of Carnegie Vanguard High School

Upstream News

Upstream News

Upstream News

CVHS Super senior serves community by offering free driving lessons

CVHS senior Anilah Bell with some of her beloved pupils (Joseph Mutagaya/Canva)
Joseph Mutagaya

Carnegie Vanguard High School senior Anilah Bell is making a huge impact on the kids, the curbs, and the cops of Downtown Houston with her free driving lessons.

For a limited time, Bell, (who trained with the renowned Aceable School of Driving), will offer three completely complementary driving lessons to students looking to get their driver’s permits. Bell is primarily focused on reaching out to kids from low-income communities like West U and River Oaks.

“When I was growing up, my parents used to drive me through this neighborhood hit by the Zyn-demic called Southside Place; it was so enlightening seeing people go through their lives with so little and still have hope and joy,” said Bell.

Bell talked about how organizing a food drive at Central Market opened her eyes to the struggles of the normies..

“[We] were handing out organic, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, authentic Birria tacos with lemon-ginger kombucha at this food drive organized by this small organization, it’s called Wack and Will, and it inspired me to just help more people uglier than me!” said Bell.

Even after witnessing Bell blessing others with her impeccable driving skills, some had doubts.

“If you know me, you know I’m a good driver. Don’t listen to the accusations of the needy broke people who don’t even have cars. Quite frankly, my driving skills are a gift from above, these people need me to know how to actually drive and not be an idiot on the road.”

Bell started classes in person before moving classes online due to a tragic setback; she suffers from a chronic disease known colloquially as Bedtoocozymmmsleepin syndrome. But Bell doesn’t let her illness define her.

“I learned how to drive online…it’s not that hard,” said Bell. “Instead, I made a not crash course crash course on driving that is available to low income students at the very low price of $20 per breath they take near me, in my presence, not near me, or overall knowing my name.”

We asked Bell what her main mission, beyond getting more Houston-style drivers out on the road, was, and her response was nothing more than stomach turning.

“I really do hope I made an impact on these kids. I’ve already made physical contact with some of them via my car but overall I hope I inspired them to do better, be better, and look better,” said Bell.

Some of Bell’s tips for brand new drivers! (Joseph Mutagaya/Canva)

To cap off our conversation with Bell, we asked her what tips she would give young and new drivers about how to be safe out on the road. 

“The best way to learn is to make mistakes; it’s like they say, you gotta hit a few telephone poles to make an omelette!”