The Student-Run News Site of Carnegie Vanguard High School

Upstream News

Upstream News

Upstream News

Personal Column: Why Valentine’s day is a terrible day

Representation of Staff Writer, Charlie Smiths feelings about Valentines Day
Charlie Smith
Representation of Staff Writer, Charlie Smith’s feelings about Valentine’s Day

Ooey gooey is what they think 

But to me it is a stink 

Holding hands, sweaty palms 

Wiening girls’ weepy songs

With every heart emoji I 

Can taste the vomit and want to die 

Swapping spit, it seems 

Quite honestly, I want to scream 

Mushy comments through and through 

Now I want to yell at you. 

The cute pet names, 

I ache with shame 

Blow out that alluring flame

Oh, my mighty lord above 

Is this really so called love

With Valentine’s Day coming up shortly, I think it would be good for me to express how much Valentine’s Day sucks. Could my views on this love-obsessed day be biased because of my anti-love tendencies? Perhaps, but I dread every February and the things that go along with it. The day is often used to showcase and flaunt relationships and happiness to others, thereby making everyone who is single hate themselves, which I find just absolutely selfish. Why must I see that while I’m over here being lonely? I wasn’t born Mr. Scroog, I thought this day was a chance to show your love. But after having an array of bad experiences when it comes to Valentine’s day my feelings have quickly changed.

In fifth grade, I had my first experience with this horrendous day. A boy whom I had a massive crush on told me to meet him under the slides on the playground during recess. Completely infatuated with this eleven-year-old boy, I eagerly complied. I’m not claiming to be a genius, but I sensed something was up, considering it was February 14. As we stood under the slides, he pulled out a red heart-shaped box of chocolate candies from behind him, which was a fifth-grade declaration of undying love. Though my initial intention was to savor the chocolates in celebration of the exquisite day, I gave into my human weakness and devoured the entire box within fifteen minutes. Exactly an hour and a half later, as my teacher was in the middle of a lesson, I sprinted to the classroom and, much to my horror, projectile vomited my love-fessed candies.

It’s extremely rare for love to ever last and be thrown in the trash or vomited much like love-filled candies. A couple of years ago my mother told me the story of her so-called “Best Valentine’s Day Ever”, which is when she and my dad decided to choose each other. The infamous day started with my mother and her then-boyfriend, let’s call him Dave, in what he thought was love. Picture this: college cafeteria, Dave all happy, smitten, and in love. Probably setting up a day of love-infused activities. But plot twist! Right there and then, my mom decides to break things off with Dave and jump into a relationship with my dad. Could she not have waited just one more day? Though my mom found forever love with my dad, we must not forget about poor old Dave. He was left heartbroken on the day that it was all about love. I imagine that experience to feel the same as being left at the altar. Now, every Valentine’s Day, you can bet Dave’s probably feeling that heartbreak all over again. Love sucks.

Lastly, I want to express how every February 14, I find myself confronted with the undeniable truth that I’ve never been more single. Last year, during Valentine’s Spirit Week at CVHS, we were asked to dress in a color that best represented our relationship status. White meant as single as a Pringle, pink indicated being in the talking stage, and red signified being taken or in a relationship. Refusing to conform to CVHS’s status quo — some might even call me a rebel — I decided to go against the norm and showed up in a white tank top and pink flared pants just to keep everyone guessing. As I strolled through the hallways, not only did I have to watch the sight of couples holding hands and gazing lovingly at each other, but I also had to witness everyone proudly displaying either red or pink. Now, I don’t want to come off as a jealous freak, but why can’t everyone embrace the single life? My social calendar is like a choose-your-own-adventure book. No need to check in with a significant other.

In conclusion, Valentine’s Day is something I’m not a fan of. It’s just too much about love, and honestly, it feels kind of overrated. From childhood crushes ending in chocolate-induced regret to adult relationships taking unexpected turns, the day often showcases the fleeting nature that is love. Love can be complicated, and while some people enjoy it, for me, Valentine’s Day is just a day that makes things a bit more complicated than they need to be. As February 14 approaches, the sentiment remains: Love, as showcased on Valentine’s Day, often sucks.