Surviving Exam Season: Five tips to manage stress this year

As AP’s, finals and major projects roll around the corner, around 45 percent of students in an Upstream survey of 22 people reported they feel ‘stressed.’

Upstream News survey regarding student mental health nearing exam season (Anjali Martinez)

The pressures of the exam season can leave students feeling overwhelmed with lists of things to do. According to an article by the student wellness center of McMaster University, stress has a ‘negative impact on mental health’, and should be recognized.

While stress is inevitable, there are ways to manage this feeling and make exam season a little more manageable. Here are five tips that have shown to be beneficial to managing mood, and emotions throughout this time period.

1. Spend time in nature

From the beginning of time, we have been accustomed to being around natural elements. According to the American Heart Association, simple actions such as ‘walking through a meadow’ can put a break on ‘the thought train circling through your head.’ Connecting with nature around 20-30 minutes a day has shown a drop in cortisol levels (stress levels) in the body. Perhaps taking a visit upstairs to our rooftop garden, or a stroll in the sports field with your friends can help ease tension levels during school hours.

2. Get enough sleep

We’ve all heard it before. “7 hours + per night”. But as common as the saying is, it is very powerful for your body. The CDC suggests that getting enough sleep at night affects how you perform throughout the day. This can be especially important during testing season, as there have been studies that show a direct correlation between sufficient sleep and better grades. So, why not hit the covers a little earlier? Who knows, you could end up getting an A.

3. Listening to music

Music has been shown to connect to various biological factors, such as neuroendocrine,  and physiological factors. Similar to spending time in nature, music reduces cortisol levels which can help you get through those tough moments of AP studying. Whenever you have some free time during lunchtime or after school, feel free to put on those headphones and listen to your favorite tunes.

4. LOL

Laughing! Cracking a few jokes with friends or family has been shown to exhibit a positive effect on mental health. According to Dr. Twoerk from The Cleveland Health Clinic, laughing ‘disarms your nervous system,’ and in turn causes your body to be more relaxed. So, combat flight or fight mode this exam season with, arguably, the best medicine.

5. Eating fermented foods

Kimchi, Sauerkraut, Kefir and Yogurt are all examples of fermented foods, which directly contribute to your body’s gut health. Gut health is linked to the brain, which is then linked to emotions, such as stress.  However, good gut health can be promoted through the consumption of these fermented foods which, according to Loma Linda University Health ‘promotes the growth of beneficial gut bacteria.’ The more diverse your gut bacteria is, the more likely you are to manage stress properly. Next time you can feel free to add fermented products to your meals. You might find a new favorite food.

While these are just a few tips, it is important to remember the things that work best for you.  Exam season is scary, yet it is important to be realistic with yourself and celebrate the small wins. Always remember to seek professional help if you struggle with stress or mental health issues. Happy exam season!

Disclaimer: No content in this article is meant to substitute for medical advice.