The Color Purple review: a new twist on an iconic story

Still from the film “The Color Purple”
Still from the film “The Color Purple”

“I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it.”

This powerful idea from Alice Walker’s “The Color Purple” not only earned her a Pulitzer Prize but also became a hit film directed by Steven Spielberg, starring actress Whoopi Goldberg, and a popular Broadway musical. Walker’s storytelling delves into the human experience, with a focus on black women, leaving a lasting impact on people from different walks of life.

This narrative’s enduring influence reaches beyond racial and gender boundaries and touches a diverse audience. Now, filmmaker Marcus Gardley steps into the scene with a fresh adaptation of “The Color Purple,” aiming to introduce its timeless story to a new generation.

Fast forward to Christmas Day in 2023: the excitement of unwrapping presents and sipping hot cocoa, and the anticipation, much like many others, led me to the cinematic experience of Marcus Gardley’s musical take on “The Color Purple.” The weight of expectations is significant due to the story’s iconic nature. Yet, it’s crucial to note that this adaptation is a musical – a detail some viewers on social media seemed unaware of, potentially affecting their overall enjoyment. Being aware of the musical element adds depth to the appreciation of the emotional journey and storytelling on the big screen. Understanding this key aspect enhances the experience of the emotions unfolded throughout this movie.

The journey begins with two sisters: Celie portrayed by actress Fantasia Barrino, and Nettie played by actress Halle Bailey. Their story revolves around the challenges of being separated and the hope they will meet again. This emotional tale touches the hearts of many women, as it addresses prevalent issues in our society, from domestic abuse and racism to sexism and beyond. Through the struggles of Celie and Nettie, the narrative sheds light on the harsh realities that resonate with the experiences of numerous individuals, making it a powerful and relatable story for audiences.

The movie and the book mean a lot to me because, like many others, I can find myself in some of Celie’s struggles. Experiencing emotions such as feeling unheard, inferior, and “different” arises not only from being a woman but also a black woman. This new musical version of “The Color Purple” is something I love because I truly enjoy musicals. The mix of the music with the deep and heartwarming story is done really well, making it super enjoyable to watch.

In this new version, my favorite character is Sofia, played by actress Danielle Brooks. I look up to her character, who shows both strength and vulnerability, reflecting the tough experiences she’s been through and adding a strong element to the story. Watching this “Color Purple” version not only entertains but also makes you feel deeply connected to the characters and their journeys finding out who they are but also embracing who they can and will be. The actress Taraji Henson as Shug gives a new feel to their relationship, making it stand out and heartwarming. The sisterly bond between Nettie and Celie is beautifully portrayed, capturing the intricacies, love, and simplicity inherent in any sisterly relationship. I personally would suggest this movie to everyone because it leaves you with a sort of happiness and recognition of the genuine emotion, dedication, and effort invested, which is evident in the display of love and attention to detail.

In conclusion, “The Color Purple” not only entertains but also fosters a profound connection to the characters and their journeys, making it a recommended watch for its uplifting and sincere portrayal.