Karma: The downfall of Jojo Siwa

A screenshot from the Karma music video.
Youtube
A screenshot from the “Karma” music video.

Karma has its eyes set on Jojo Siwa, and she’s not backing down. TV sensation and personality Siwa has steered her career from competitive dancing and professional choreography to a whole new level of art: music. Siwa has stormed into the music scene with tracks such as “Boomerang,” “Kid in a Candy Shop,” and her latest hit, “Karma.”

Jojo Siwa throughout almost her whole life has been thought of as family-friendly entertainment. As Abby Miller once remarked, “You can’t walk into Walmart without seeing her face.” With over a thousand Jojo-branded products on the market, her presence is impossible to overlook. From bows to backpacks, Jojo has woven herself into the fabric of everyday life for many young fans, only solidifying her status as a household name.

As a fellow Siwanator, I was over the moon when I heard about her new single, ‘Karma’. I couldn’t wait for its release and eagerly counted down the days. She has relentlessly promoted the song and even created a dance routine to go with it, although sadly it received its fair share of unwarranted criticism. I think it’s amazing. I’ve had a blast doing the viral ‘Karma’ dance in all sorts of places – at home, in Mr. Arredondo’s class, and yes, even during a solar eclipse.”

Let’s face it, you’re here for my candid take on Jojo’s latest track, “Karma”. In a nutshell, while the lyrics themselves are solid, they don’t quite align with her delivery. There are moments where the lyrics feel a bit cringe-worthy, like the line “If I had a wish I would have never effed around”, which she altered from Brit Smith’s original “If I had a wish I would have never messed around”. The original version carries a more mature tone, which would have better suited the song’s intended vibe.

On April 5, Jojo Siwa’s long-awaited music video finally premiered, eliciting mixed reactions. While the choreography showcased her dancing abilities, there were moments that some viewers found unsettling, particularly a scene where she appeared to engage in what could be described as aggressive grinding with a female dancer. This aspect of the video may not sit well with all audiences. However, despite its controversial elements, I would suggest that individuals over the age of 16 give it a watch, as it offers a unique and memorable experience.

Jojo Siwa stated on the Call Her Daddy podcast, she revealed insights into the creative process behind “Karma”. She disclosed that she began working on the song two years ago, indicating she wasn’t ready to disclose that she “was a bad girl” because in the eyes of the public, she was quite the opposite.

In my final review of “Karma,” despite the controversies and mixed reactions it has gotten, I have to applaud Jojo Siwa’s boldness and her commitment to pushing artistic boundaries. While the song may have its flaws, including some questionable lyrics and delivery, it undeniably showcases Siwa’s future as an artist. The accompanying music video, while unique, presents a visual narrative that sparks conversation and invites interpretation.