Argylle review: More comedy than spy movie

Universal Pictures
Movie poster for Argylle

Growing up I would watch crime and spy movies and shows with my dad. We both love a good mystery and action, so when we saw the trailer for this movie we were excited. Unlike other spy films, this one seemed to have the added narrative of comedy, another thing we both love and enjoy.  

On Tuesday night we headed to the movie theater to see if it would be as interesting as the trailer made it seem. Two hours later as we headed out of the movie theater, the one thought in my mind was what the [expletive]? 

“Argylle” is a comedy and espionage-fueled rollercoaster that focuses on both style and substance. Directed by Matthew Vaughn, known for his work on the “Kingsman” series, this film takes the spy genre in a different direction with its blend of action, humor, and intrigue.

The plot revolves around the titular secret agent, Argylle (Henry Cavill), and his companion agents who find themselves entangled in a global conspiracy involving a villain threatening world peace. Led by the charismatic and enigmatic Argylle, the team must race against time to unravel the mystery and stop the villain’s sinister plans.

Aiden (Sam Rockwell) protecting Elly (Bryce Dallas Howard) from the evil organization. (IMDb)

Except that that isn’t the plot. The plot revolves around Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard), the author of the book series “Argylle” in that universe. She has just finished writing the fifth book but isn’t so sure the ending is really what she wants. As she takes a train to spend some time away to reflect on what the possible ending is, she is attacked by an evil organization and saved by a spy, Aiden Wilde (Sam Rockwell), sent to protect her. 

Turns out all the books she has written have ended up coming true, making it seem like she is a fortune teller. Now the evil organization and the good spy organization are trying to get her to finish her fifth book to find something important: the files that would prove the existence and corruption of evil organizations.

One of the film’s strongest aspects is its stellar cast. Henry Cavill shines as the suave and resourceful Argylle, delivering a performance that is both charming and hilarious. Joining him are top-tier talents such as Sam Rockwell, Bryce Dallas Howard, John Cena, and Dua Lipa, each bringing unique flair to their respective roles.

Furthermore, the script tries to strike the perfect balance between heart-pounding action and witty banter. The dialogue is sharp and clever, infused with humor that keeps the audience entertained without overshadowing the high-stakes narrative. The script also manages to inject moments of genuine emotion, grounding the story and giving the characters depth beyond their badass personas.

Visually, “Argylle” is a feast for the eyes. From the action sequences to the sleek and stylish cinematography, every frame is made to captivate the audience. The film blends practical stunts with cutting-edge visual effects, resulting in adrenaline-pumping set pieces that leave a lasting impression.

Like the colorful smoke and dance fight scene. Don’t ask. Or maybe do. It was hilarious. 

The film’s soundtrack elevates the tension and excitement to new heights. Zimmer’s pulse-pounding score perfectly complements the action on screen, driving the momentum forward and intensifying the emotional impact of key moments. Whether it’s during a high-speed car chase or a tense showdown between characters, the music enhances the immersive experience and adds comedy.

Poster of the main cast of Argylle (IMDb)

While it pays homage to classic tropes and conventions, the film also subverts expectations and introduces fresh ideas that keep the audience guessing. The plot twists and turns with unexpected revelations, keeping viewers on the edge of their seats as they try to unravel the mystery alongside the characters. This combination of familiarity and innovation makes “Argylle” an enjoyable and unpredictable ride from start to finish.

All in all, I couldn’t take this seriously. I recommend this as a funny comedy movie more than a spy mystery thriller. I definitely wouldn’t mind watching a sequel for the fun of it and how unserious it is at times.