Review: Duchess of Twilight

Roxell Bonilla
Duchess of Twilight: A CVHS Production official poster for marketing.

Disclaimer: Spoilers ahead!

With UIL Theater in the middle of a competition, CVHS Theater decided to embody the long-awaited “Duchess of Twilight,” a play that involves two vampires and a werewolf, who happen to be in a love triangle. If this sounds familiar, that’s because it is! The multi-million dollar series of “Twilight” took inspiration from the play, modernizing the time and acting. 

The play begins with three siblings living in a castle. The recently widowed sister refuses to remarry, but her two brothers tell her that it’s not good for the family name if she does not remarry and continue the family lineage. This is where it comes to her attention that her brothers are in love with her. Out of disgust she kills both her brothers, marries a wealthy old king, has kids, and lives happily ever after. 

The play itself truly embodies the essence of mystery and violence along with disgust and horror. The actors emphasize each scene more and more. Actors Bella Swan, Edward Cullen, and Jacob Black, all CVHS seniors, took it upon themselves to play these characters. 

Swan, of course being the center of attention, summons her inner vampire with her character. Her pale skin, glowing hair, and slim and tall figure give her that vampire-like look. Her beautiful children also are featured in the play.

“lip bite, uh um… Oh, eh, yeah. No one understands me. I like the play. Without it, we’d never see the stars,” said Swan. “I’m a pro at weird.”

Cullen, whose character is no longer her sibling in “Twilight,” plays her younger brother in the play and becomes a werewolf when he finds out that they are siblings and will never have a chance with the his duchess. The moon himself turns him into a wolf because he finds out about the biggest scandal of the century. 

“I’m super salty since she’s off limits, but it’s ok because she turns me into a werewolf, so that’s kinda hot,” said Cullen.

Black’s task is to protect Swan from their evil brother and ultimately defeats him in a battle of woes. Then, out of spite and despair, Swan picks up a brick that magically appears on stage and kills Black, ending both of her brother’s lives and getting away with murder. 

The play itself is genuinely insane and I would 10/10 go back in time and watch it again. I’m a sucker for a happy ending and love that our girl boss Swan took that dub in the end. #girlboss. I would recommend stopping by the theatre in the next month to watch the very long-awaited Duchess of Twilight.