The Student-Run News Site of Carnegie Vanguard High School

Upstream News

Upstream News

Upstream News

Kung Fu Panda 4 Review: Guess who’s back?!

DreamWorks
A “Kung Fu Panda 4” promotional poster.

DISCLAIMER: This review contains major spoilers for “Kung Fu Panda 4!!”

“Legend tells of a legendary warrior whose kung fu skills were the stuff of legend.…”

I’m sure everyone is familiar with the legendary story of Po and his thrilling adventures with the Furious Five. Standing as one of the highest grossing animated films of all time, it’s no surprise that multiple sequels of the Dreamworks movie have been released, all performing equally as well (if not better than) the original. However, after a lengthy 8-year hiatus and a seemingly concluded storyline, it came as a shock to fans when a 4th installment was announced to be released in March. So, how does this sequel compare to the renowned story and animation of the first three “Kung Fu Panda” movies?

“Kung Fu Panda 4” follows the story of our beloved Po, the new owner of Master Oogway’s Staff of Wisdom, who is now on a mission to become a spiritual leader and find a suitable successor to be the next Dragon Warrior. But fear looms over the Valley of Peace as rumors of an evil shapeshifter named “the Chameleon” plotting to conquer all of China spreads amongst the townspeople. So, alongside a fox bandit named Zhen, Po embarks on a journey to take down this villain, find a successor, and restore peace in China.

Po and Zhen sharing a meal at The Happy Bunny Tavern. (DreamWorks)

Firstly, I really liked watching Po and Zhen’s playful dynamic throughout the movie. Alongside the silly side characters that they met on their journey, there were moments when I genuinely laughed out loud at their jokes. While it’s a bit disappointing that the Furious Five didn’t make an appearance in the film, this sequel definitely maintained the comedic chemistry between characters that we all know and love.

Color splashes across the screen during Po’s battle. (DreamWorks)

I also really enjoyed the art and visuals of this movie. In comparison to the original “Kung Fu Panda,” which was considered DreamWorks’ best animated work in 2008, “Kung Fu Panda 4” really stepped up its game in terms of visuals and stylization. Something I especially liked was how the film utilized cartoonish, vibrant splatters of color to emphasize the dynamics of their action sequences. It gave the movie a unique pop of energy and style that enhanced the martial arts theme in a playful yet captivating way.

However, while there were many positive aspects to this movie, I also have some gripes about the plot and characters overall. First off, the villain (the Chameleon) is too stereotypical, and honestly, kind of weak. She is the cliché “I want to take over the world” type of villain and is way too easily defeated by Po, especially considering how overpowered the writers made her abilities seem. While I do think she was cool, in comparison to the complex and endearing villains of the previous “Kung Fu Panda” movies, the Chameleon just seemed a bit too one-dimensional and bland.

And speaking of the villains from previous “Kung Fu Panda” movies, this sequel pulls a “Spiderman: No Way Home” as fan-favorite characters Tai Lung, Lord Shen, and General Kai are all resurrected from the spirit realm during the climax of the film. This was really cool and exciting to see, especially for fans who grew up watching the earlier films and missed the thrill that these villains brought to the “Kung Fu Panda” storyline.

The Chameleon resurrects and confronts Tai Lung. (DreamWorks)

However, something that really bothered me about this comeback was how the villains seemed to act completely out of character. Not only did Shen and Kai not even speak, but in the end Tai Lung acknowledged Po as “worthy of being the Dragon Warrior,” contradicting his entire arrogant character and everything that he stood for in the original film.

I also found it strange that Po’s former enemies didn’t seize their chance for revenge against him, especially considering Shen’s ruthless ambition to find and execute Po in “Kung Fu Panda 2″. Instead, they just peacefully drifted back into the spirit realm without a single trace of animosity towards their once-greatest mortal enemy.

On the other hand, when it comes to the pacing and plot, I think “Kung Fu Panda 4” struck a balance that made it a pretty enjoyable watch overall. It managed to recapture that sense of adventure and discovery that we loved in the original films, introducing new locations and characters, and overall adding more depth to the fictional world we’ve come to love. Although it may have been a bit fast-paced and predictable at times, the story remained engaging and easy to follow, making it a fun and exciting addition to the franchise.

The movie’s main setting, Juniper City. (DreamWorks)

As a final takeaway, although “Kung Fu Panda 4″ falls short compared to the legendary sequels that precede it, the movie still manages to deliver an entertaining and nostalgic ride to fans, offering a nice throwback into the world of our beloved goofy panda. So, if you’re a fan of Po’s martial arts shenanigans or simply want a good laugh, don’t hesitate to grab some popcorn and enjoy this latest installment in the series!