The Student-Run News Site of Carnegie Vanguard High School

Upstream News

Upstream News

Upstream News

BREAKING NEWS: Lip-syncers left jobless amidst national TikTok ban

Naadiya Walji
Phone notification indicating a ntaional emergency amidst TikTok ban. Photo courtesy of TikTok, edited using CANVA

It was a normal day for Darli Chamelio. She woke up, got ready, propped her phone up, and started to dance in front of the camera. Moments later, her phone started buzzing uncontrollably. Chamelio grabbed her phone and read

“NATIONAL EMERGENCY: SUPREME COURT RULES IN FAVOR OF TIK TOK TAKEDOWN”

Chamelio gasped and ran across her 15,000-square-foot mansion to her parents bedroom. Her mother, Deidi Chamelio, was mixing her Bloom Nutrition drink. Chamelio shared the news, and both women were now distraught.

It was a sad day for Darli Chamelio. She miserably walked across her “content filming room,” set up her ring light, and slipped her phone into the black, plastic holder. She turned the camera to face her and selected “can you feel my heart” by Bring Me Horizon.

“Can you hear the silence?

Can you see the dark?

Can you fix the broken?

Can you feel, can you feel my heart?”

Since the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the TikTok ban due to privacy concerns over “ties with China,” this would be the very last video Chamelio would post. 

Chamelio first rose to fame in late 2019 when she started posting dance videos on TikTok. Her relatable content earned her millions of followers, and her family multiple brand deals and sponsorships. 

She mournfully lip-synced the lyrics, shed a few tears at the end, and stopped recording. Chamelio posted the video, and seconds later, was flooded with comments from her dear fans.

@BoahNeck: See u at McDonald’s interviews!

@DarliDunkinLover: We will miss you so much, queen! <3

@RaddisonRae: start flipping those burgers, girl!

In a few days, Chamelio and millions of other lip syncers would be left jobless and have to stoop down to work alongside the working class. 

Lip-syncing has become a popular content creation technique, reportedly 2 billion TikTok users have made at least two videos mouthing the words to a song. According to a study by The Maryland Post, lip-syncing has decreased social interactions by at least 150% in the last three years. 

I’ve forgotten how to communicate verbally, most of my work was done through a screen. Without my viewers, I feel like no one is listening to me anymore,” Chamelio said.

Darli’s story is not unique. Multiple other TikTokers, such as Chames Jarles, Goren Lay, and countless others have reportedly started looking for alternative income sources amidst this national crisis. 

Many students object to this bill and have digitally voiced their opinions. 

“Banning TikTok is like silencing a whole generation’s voice! Stand up for our rights to connect and share our stories! #TikTokFreedom” – @taylorjohnson56

Some users even came as far as threatening members of Congress in hopes of reversing the ban. 

Chamelio was left to contemplate her future and agreed to an interview.

“I was shocked when the ban was announced, it felt like my virtual empire was crumbling,” said Chamelio. 

Though her future is uncertain, Chamelio is working towards finding a new career to sustain her life in Los Angeles. 

Charli Damelio working at McDonald’s. Photo courtesy of Charli Damelio’s YouTube, McDonalds icon + meal courtesy of McDonald’s. Edited using CANVA

Days after TikTok was forcibly removed from the App Store, it was reported that almost half of Los Angeles’s population’s income decreased by a whopping 600%. 

“I called up all my former Hype House friends and we all sat together to create resumes and apply to various jobs. I am hopeful to be a customer service representative for SKIMS,” said Chamelio, who is excited to practice verbal communication again. 

Chamelio, surrounded by Raddison Chae, Hase Chudson, and other former influencers devised a plan to replenish their unemployment status, however, they were not the only ones to do so.

“There were literally crowds outside McDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin… to try and get a job. So many of us retired influencers are struggling,” Chamelio said, sitting on a Louis Vuitton ottoman. 

It seems that only TikTokers are being affected by this crisis. Celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner are doing perfectly fine. Though they did partake in lip-syncing on TikTok, they built their brands off of fashion and reality TV. This TikTok ban has left nothing but a slight dent in their pockets.

Chamelio soon found a job at McDonalds, taking orders for customers. She seemed to face a culture shock between the digital and material world. 

“Is this really how normal people love? Being forced to talk to people in actual words? Face to face?” Chamelio asked.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Upstream News
$150
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Carnegie Vanguard High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs and fund field trips, competition fees, and equipment. We appreciate your support!